As the community's fitness manager, Welch oversees Seabrook's on-site fitness center. Residents are staying fit and having fun by working out in the state-of-the-art fitness centers on campus, participating in group exercise classes, swimming laps in the indoor pool, and walking the community's scenic walking trails.
Here are Welch's five tips for seniors to stay healthy in the New Year.
- Drink water, even if you're not thirsty. It is easy to forget this and to become dehydrated during the cold winter weather.
- Move it or lose it. It is important to move each day. Even the smallest amount will help keep your muscles limber. Begin each morning with a 5-minute stretch routine before leaving your home for the day.
- Find a friend that will help motivate you to exercise. Keep each other company while walking, biking, or partnering in a group exercise class.
- Elevate your legs. While reading your favorite book, elevate your legs to keep your blood flowing. This can help with any swelling that you might experience.
- Don't forget to do strength training exercises. These types of exercises are crucial to maintaining healthy bone density levels.
For more information on Seabrook, visit www.seabrookcommunity.com.
About Seabrook: Seabrook, one of 20 continuing care retirement communities developed and managed by Erickson Living®, is situated on a scenic 98-acre campus in Tinton Falls, New Jersey. The not-for-profit community of more than 1,400 residents and 750 employees is governed by its own board of directors, affiliated with National Senior Campuses, who provide independent financial and operational oversight of the community. Additional information about Seabrook can be found at SeabrookCommunity.com.