Parkville, Maryland— According to a recent AAA Travel survey, nearly 100 million Americans are planning a vacation in 2019. Residents of Oak Crest are following these national trends. They are taking road trips to visit family and friends, enjoying cruises and going abroad to fulfill "bucket lists."
Ken and Judy Phebus, residents of Oak Crest retirement community, are year-round travelers. They met in 1995 while Judy was directing a tour in Washington D.C. and Ken was driving the bus for Gunther Charters. After the group explored the city, they returned to find that Ken had set up their food on trays and placed them at their bus seats.
"I looked at all the meals displayed so nicely and thought, 'well this is a good guy!'" recalled Judy. After dating for five years, they married in 2000 and will celebrate 19 years this November.
Traveling is their passion. Not only have they ventured abroad, they have visited each state…at least twice. "Many people want to visit places out of the country, but we have such beautiful places in the United States," noted Ken.
In the last year, they have been to Las Vegas, the Canadian Rockies, Mackinac Island in Michigan and Branson, Missouri, among many destinations. They have plans to return to Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, take cruises out of Florida and of course, enjoy crab feasts across Maryland.
With Ken and Judy always on the go, they feel very grateful to live at an Erickson Living community. "We have peace of mind when we walk out the door, and we don't have to worry about anything while we are away," described Ken.
Moving to Oak Crest was an easy decision. "We wanted to come as a couple and make memories together," Judy said.
No matter your destination or means of getting there, Ken and Judy have tips to help you enjoy your trip:
1. Make a copy of your license, credit cards and medical cards, front and back, and leave it with a family member. Personal information can be lost or even stolen.
2. Pack all clothes on hangers, lay them across the suitcase, and fold them in half. This will help prevent wrinkles and make for an easy transfer from suitcase to closet.
3. Keep an envelope with copies of all medical history and travel insurance paperwork with you.
4. Share a copy of the trip itinerary with a family member so they are aware of your schedule in case they need to reach you.
5. Use luggage with wheels (even smaller carry-on bags) for convenience and ease.
About Oak Crest: Oak Crest, one of 20 continuing care retirement communities developed and managed by Erickson Living®, is situated on a scenic 87-acre campus in Parkville, Maryland. The not-for-profit community of more than 2,100 residents and 1,250 employees is governed by its own board of directors, affiliated with National Senior Campuses, who provide independent financial and operational oversight of Oak Crest. Additional information can be found at OakCrestCommunity.com.