Houston, Texas— According to a recent AAA Travel survey, nearly 100 million Americans are planning a vacation in 2019. Residents of Eagle's Trace are following these national trends. They are taking road trips to visit family and friends, enjoying cruises and traveling internationally to fulfill lifelong "bucket lists."
Tom and Sandy Wills are residents of the Erickson Living community in West Houston. Since moving to the campus in November 2016, they have taken six major trips, including cruises to Bermuda and the surrounding islands, the California wine country, Cuba and the Caribbean Sea, and the Mediterranean. They've also been on trips to Australia, New Zealand and Hawaii and another to the Scandinavian Peninsula, Ireland and Russia.
"Following our first ocean cruise in 2008, we decided to engage in a robust travel schedule that took us on the road nearly one-third of the year. It became a diversion from all the maintenance and yard work we were leaving behind at our house in Memorial," said Tom, a retired chemical engineer.
Living at Eagle's Trace has been a smart decision for Tom and Sandy.
"Eagle's Trace provides us with the comfort and peace of mind that everything is secure while we pursue our passion," says Sandy, a former sales executive with DHL Worldwide Express. "We tell our friends and family to travel when they have the opportunity and are in good health. You never know when life's circumstances will change."
With their experience on cruise ships and airports around the world, Tom and Sandy offer the following tips for older adults:
• If your trip involves extensive walking or traveling abroad, consider talking with your doctor or pharmacist to discuss destinations, food allergies and vaccinations.
• Check the weather at your destinations by using a forecast app on your phone; pack for unexpected conditions.
• Travel during the right time of day to maximize your energy level. Consider mid-morning or early afternoon departures.
• Travel with a list of medications and copies of medical directives. Emergencies can happen anywhere in the world.
• Remember to ask for senior discounts at hotels and travel agencies.
• Arrive at a foreign destination a day or two before departing on a cruise or tour to allow checked bags to catch up if they were delayed.
About Eagle's Trace: Eagle's Trace, one of 20 continuing care retirement communities developed and managed by Erickson Living®, is situated on a scenic 72-acre campus in West Houston, Texas. The not-for-profit community of more than 935 residents and 500 employees is governed by its own board of directors, affiliated with National Senior Campuses, who provide independent financial and operational oversight. Additional information can be found at EaglesTraceCommunity.com.