CATONSVILLE, MD (July 28, 2016) -- Barbara Fahey's collection of rare East German puppets are now on display in the Chesapeake restaurant at Charlestown retirement community 715 Maiden Choice Lane in Catonsville.
These puppets were purchased by Fahey in East German antique shops immediately prior to construction of the Berlin Wall in 1961.
Fahey, who is an artist, lived in West Berlin at the time with her husband, John (U.S. Navy Commander, retired) and their three children.
Under the Huebner-Malinin Agreement signed by the military leaders of the United States and the Soviet Union in 1947 fourteen members of the United States Army and Air Force, as well as one member of the United States Navy-- Commander Fahey -- were assigned to the Soviet Army behind the Iron Curtain in East Germany. This agreement was in effect until 1989 when the Soviet Union dissolved.
Identity cards in the Russian language were issued to the Faheys, permitting them to enter east Germany, where the Russians had 22 military divisions.