With the New Year upon us, it's a good time to think about our well-being and what we can do to stay healthy. Ellen Book-O'Neill brings her expertise in senior fitness to her role as fitness coordinator at Ann's Choice, the senior living community in Bucks County, Pennsylvania, developed and managed by Erickson Living.
At Ann's Choice, residents are staying fit and having fun by working out in the state-of-the-art fitness centers on campus, participating in group exercises classes, swimming laps in the indoor pool, and walking the community's scenic walking trails
Here are Book-O'Neill's five tips to help you stay well in 2020.
- Stay hydrated - Drink plenty of water. Dehydration can cause, headaches, fatigue, constipation, dizziness, and muscle cramps. While drinking more water may make you run to the bathroom room more frequently, it's much better than the alternatives.
- Exercise Daily – You should be doing some form of vigorous exercise three days a week. On the other days get up and move. It doesn't have to be anything more than a leisurely walk or taking a swim in the pool.
- Eat right – Start by adding more fruits and vegetables to your diet, shoot for 5-9 servings a day. Try to reduce the amount of processed sugar you eat. Satisfy your sweet tooth with some grapes or an orange!
- Do what you enjoy – Exercise does not have to be limited to the gym. You can swim, play a sport like tennis, pickleball or basketball. You can go for a run, a walk or a swim. If you do something you like, you're more apt to continue it.
- Vary your exercise – If you have been doing the same routine in the gym for months or years, it's time to change it up. Your muscles get use to the movements and will not respond as before.
Ellen Book-O'Neill is a certified personal trainer through the American Council of Exercise and has had training through the National Association of Sports Medicine. She holds specialized certification in Nutrition, Pilates, Meditation, and Aqua Fitness. She is currently seeking certifications as a Cancer Exercise Specialist and a Drums Alive instructor.
Photo: Residents at Ann's Choice play Pickleball on campus.
About Ann's Choice: Ann's Choice, one of 20 continuing care retirement communities developed and managed by Erickson Living®, is situated on a scenic 103-acre campus in Warminster, Pennsylvania. The not-for-profit community of more than 1,900 residents and 1,000 employees is governed by its own board of directors, affiliated with National Senior Campuses, who provide independent financial and operational oversight of the community. Additional information about Ann's Choice can be found at AnnsChoiceCommunity.com.